Tuesday 27 March 2012

What a mug.


Penguin Mug - Nineteen Eighty-Four, George Orwell
credit
My last post got me thinking about how I perceive work at the moment.  It's certainly more than a chore- it pays for my bills, mortgage and handbags...but I genuinely feel quite indifferent to my place of work right now. I'm lucky that my boss allows me creative freedom at times and I don't lose sleep at night worrying about the day ahead, but I do feel a little less part of the furniture than I should.

Maybe the problem is down to keeping my desk tidy...

Cutting off that messy part of my personality is like cutting off a limb (I know, so cliche). So whilst looking back at the snap-shot I took last week I noticed something pretty interesting. Amongst all the bits and bobs, I saw my mug. A bright orange Penguin Classics mug. 

I love reading, especially dystopian novels, and Nineteen Eighty-Four is the Daddy of such novels. So when these mugs made by Art Meets Matter started flying off the shelves a few years ago, I snapped one up too. Up until six months ago I had this little beauty neatly placed on top of my kitchen cupboard with a few other Penguin mugs gathering dust. So when I started my new job, I decided to take this one with me to save it from its tea-less existence.   

Now I bet you're thinking that a mug is a mug right? Wrong. This mug perfectly sums up how I feel about work at the moment. I'm in a battle (just like Winston) to fight for my freedom. Although my battle consists of the freedom to clutter my desk without being told off by the boss (Big Brother) and it also makes me feel a little rebellious too- being the only one to deviate away from the generic company mug. Oh yes. 

So sometimes, when work seems a little boring, a little stressful or draining, always remember that 2+2=4 not 5 and work is just work. You still have your personality, so don't let your desk get you down!

1 comment:

  1. Well said I ran a pretty tight ship as an office manager with more post its than staples everywhere! X

    ReplyDelete